Wednesday, June 27, 2007

We've lost your tax return, may we have another?

There has been a lot of talking regarding the US going to a Universal (Social) Medicine Program. I don't agree with it. The IRS has proven my point on why.

My mother received a letter from the IRS. The letter states, " We lost your tax return. Could you please send us another copy?" This is why government doesn't need to get involved with health insurance. They need to fix the current issues they have. Do you want to get a letter saying, Dear Mr. Smith, we lost your medical files, could you please update us with how your doing? I don't think so.

Social medicine sounds great in a Utopian Society but we don't live in Utopia. WE live here in the real world. A friend of mine is from Colombia. Colombia has social medicine. Her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Due to the back log of patients that the country has, she had to wait 5 months for surgery and travel 60 miles to the closest doctor and hospital. You could be dead in 5 months with cancer. At least here, you would get diagnosed and treatment well before 5 months was up. Your doctor and hospital are in your neighborhood. Do you want to travel from Richmond to Charlottesville or Fredericksburg for an appointment?

Also, how is it going to be paid for? They are going to raise our taxes. I don't know about you, but currently I am giving to Social Security which we won't have when we retire ( a government ran program); I am also paying into Medicare, and paying state and federal taxes. Our insurance premium is approximately $180 a month for family coverage. I don't want an increase in taxes and am happy with the insurance program that WE CHOSE to suit our needs.

You are offered private insurance. Blue Cross/Blue Shield also offers reasonable rates to insure yourself and if you are low income, you can get insurance based upon your income to cover your children. Hospitals will take indigent patients as its part of the Hippocratic Oath. No patient is turned away at the hospital.

The government form of insurance is Medicaid and Medicare. Have you ever tried to use it? My mother and brother are on Medicare due to disability issues. They don't cover medicine even the generic. Her doctor completes the forms for her but the doctors don't get paid in a 30 - 60 day turnaround. Its more like 90 - 120 days.

Also, the US has produced more vaccines and cures than other countries due to capitalism. The first one who produces a safe vaccine, gets it patented and approved by the FDA (a government organization) and the next thing you know, you have a cure and the pharmaceutical agency has profit. Take the competition away and do you think we would get any more vaccines or cures like for cancer or HIV under a government reign? I don't think so. My son has a VP shunt which was developed in the US. Without it, he would die before he reaches the status of teenager. I want capitalism in with my health care.

As I stated earlier, if the IRS can't hold on to a tax return, how in the world can I expect the government to keep my health care straight?

I hope you have a blessed night.

Beamer 319

No comments: