Thursday, June 28, 2007

The 11th Summer..What a great time it was

Do you remember the summer when you were 11 years old? Was it a positive one? I just finished reading "The Eleventh Summer" by Sarah Norkus. Its her true story filled with hope, love, and unconditional love during the summer of 1965 when she was 11 years old.

She was the daughter of an alcoholic mother who was verbally and mentally abusive. Her faith in God and the unconditional love of her dad and nanny made life bearable. Its a very moving book and an easy read. Its 122 pages and I read it in 3 days during my lunch break at work.

She does an excellent job in drawing you into the world of an 11 year old forced to turn away from childhood fantasies in order to keep her family together and to look out for her 3 siblings. I just can't say enough about it.

I will let you know that she currently lives in Colonial Heights and I met her through a writing group that she has opened her house to. I now admire her for her triumphs over trials and now I know that my childhood may not be as bad as I thought it was.

If you want a quick, good read for the beach, I highly recommend it.

Take Care,
Beamer 319

No comments: