Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hey Can You Dumb it Down Please!!!

My last position was eliminated due to a business decision. I went to a head hunter/recruiter to help me get new employment. I spoke with him today as he had a potential opportunity for me. I want to work in commercial construction as an accounting manager. I have 22 years accounting experience with 8 being in commercial construction. I also am 8 classes short of my degree in business. Put those two things together and the companies either love me or they are not sure of me.

Anyway, this company is looking for an office manager/bookkeeper and they are a commercial construction firm. The Recruiter said that I was over qualified and would I mind "dumbing down my resume". My resume is professional and I am proud of my accomplishments. I have never heard of dumbing down a resume. I've heard of people exaggerating but never dumbing down. So how do you make a resume dumber?

I don't want to lie on my resume and I don't want to make it appear that I haven't had the experiences that I've had. In the work force women make around $0.80 to a man's $1 to start with. So, if I dumb down my resume, will I get the same opportunity as men?

What has my career come down to, "Excuse me please, but can you dumb it down?" I believe I will reply, "No sir, I can't. My roots are natural and have grown over time and I don't believe in changing now."

Wish me luck in looking for real work with my natural resume.

Beamer 319

No comments: