Friday, July 13, 2007

She's Got A Brand New Boyfriend..

I came home from work and found my oldest daughter writing a letter. I thought how sweet that she's writing one of her grandparents a note. She then informed me that she was writing to AH. I was shocked and then my heart saddened as I started to really like her boyfriend of 5 years. The first time I met LB, he had a blond rat tail which I thought went out with the mullet.

They were 3 years old and met in preschool and became inseparable. They were also the same height. When I saw LB again in Kindergarten, the rat tail was gone but the pierced ear arrived. So I am figuring that he will get his first tattoo by 5th grade. LB is really a nice boy. The last time I saw the two together was at the 2nd grade dance and he came up to B's shoulders. He is really a sweet boy in a kind of Wally Cleaver way.

Anyhow, when I asked her why she was writing AH, she said that she just wanted to. AH lives around the corner and goes to our church. He is a cute little boy. I should have seen this coming when I caught them holding hands at the picnic. They see me coming and they both looked like they were just caught stealing a cookie out of the cookie jar. I see the hand holding and before I could say anything, B looks over at AH and says "Busted. What now?". I let it go and told her to go play on the playground where her brother and sister were. AH is a nice boy but he reminds me of Eddie Haskell. You know the type. Real nice on the outside but inside, he's a bad boy.

LB started out as a bad boy but I guess at the ripe old age 7, he's mellowing out. B has always had a heart for the bad boy. Her first hairdresser was a guy who had piercings on his brow, lip, nose, and tongue and he was tattooed in all seeable areas. He worked at Hair Cuttery and she loved him and would only allow him to do her hair. Unfortunately, when we moved to Colonial Heights, we had to say good bye to tattoo guy. Now she can't wait to grow up so she can get painted like him.

When school let out, she and LB informed us that they were getting married in the year 2036 because they had to go to college first. LB's parents were more shocked at the fact that LB mentioned going to college versus the getting married part. I thought that it was really funny that they were planning on the future. And now, she is writing to AH.

I hope that this is only summer love and when school starts LB will return to the mix. I have asked B if AH knew that she had held hands with LB? After blushing profusely, she said that she told him and he wasn't happy about it but as she puts, "He got over it". I can't believe my 8 year old is introducing me to the angst years of teenagerdom before I'm ready. What happened to Barbie Dolls, watching Full House, and playing with dolls?

She's got a brand new boyfriend and I am getting a glimpse into my future teenager. Please tell me it will be OK.... I'm not ready for this. Today 8 years old, tomorrow Teenager Wannabe.

Here's to the future,

Beamer 319

2 comments:

Tipsy said...

I am married but I don't have any children. I can only profess sympathy to your dilemma. I am amazed at how fast kids are moving into various stages of life. Perhaps I am naive, maybe it has been happening forever and I am thinking it only is a new concept.

When I was her age, I played with boys but the romance/boyfriend factor was not on my mind. Boys were icky.

I cozied up to the idea of guys in my middle school years. Crushes and a bedroom bedecked with Corey Haim, Johnny Depp and Depeche Mode Posters. I never had much luck with guys. I was a nerdy girl. lol.

I met my future husband while I was a Junior in High School. I dated him for many years. I didn't get married until 29.

I say all of this with the intention to say I really think Kids rush it these days or maybe its that feeling of look at the freedom Adults have, but they really don't understand that being an Adult, well its not fun and games. If I could, I would live to rush back into having summers free to do what I wanted. Gosh what I could have accomplished.

I can say this much and I am sure you know that the more you try to tie them down or treat them in a way that doesn't allow them to develop maturity, they rebel like nothing else.

I often think if I have kids, what would I do? I know I could give them lots of love and show them many things. But would it be enough to steer them toward making choices that are good for them? Or would they abandon me because I am a parent and I am not cool? lol

Oh the deluge of quandaries that is parenthood.

Best I can say, let's hope its a crush that dissolves as quickly as it was formed.

You could always switch churches and keep her swamped with other activities. lol!

Girl Scout Promise said...

Kids really are exposed to a lot of adult content whether its a conversation, pictures or games. I am trying very hard to keep her mind focused on God and School. I guess I will have to keep her also in prayer so she doesn't miss out on the goodness and freshness of childhood. I appreciate your comments.

I hope you have an awesome weekend.

Beamer 319