Sunday, November 4, 2007

Richmond is a dark place (Literally)

After a year of watching Miami Ink, I decided that for my husband's and my date night we would go to high end tattoo parlors. I have had friends get work done and he is thinking of getting another one. So after dinner at Sage Brush, we went to downtown Richmond.

We entered Richmond from 95 at MCV Hospitals and travelled west on Broad. It was pitch black. There weren't any street lights. I was excited to see a Cold Stone Brewery and several other chain restaurants. When I attended VCU, my mother worked at Pizzini Poster and Printing beside Capital Garage. All that now belongs to VCU. There are loft apartments on the second floor and businesses on the first. Pretty cool. People were out but not to do any type of walking around because there were not any Street Lights. They were double parking there cars and running in and getting what they wanted and coming right back out due to the lack of light.

WHY????? Has Mayor Wilder gone on such a spending spree that he forgot to pay the electric bill. The new street lights are pretty but don't put out any to no light. Richmond is supposed to be revitalizing. How can you capitalize on the new businesses on a weekend night if you don't provide lighted areas for the people to feel safe. I don't get it.

Anyway, we went to 2 tattoo parlors (Red Dragon and River Tattoo). I was not impressed with Red Dragon. They were playing head banging extra loud music. They only had flashes to display and the customer service was not personable.

We went to River City Tattoo next. I loved this place. Not only did you have to get buzzed in but they had the tattoo artists portfolio for you to look through. They also weren't playing any headbanging music and it felt more like a cool place to hang out versus a get in and get out kind of establishment. The artwork was also very good and it left a confident feeling that you would get quality art for your money.

I hope you all had a great weekend and if you get a chance, drive through Richmond on Broad Street at night and see the darkness. It's as scary as any halloween movie.

Take Care,
Beamer 319

6 comments:

Scott said...

A little devil's advocate:

Nice to not have light pollution. Nice to save on energy costs. Nice to have a little mystery.

Girl Scout Promise said...

A little scary when you can't see your hand in front of your face because there was literally no light.

Have a great night.

Beamer

Scott said...

Perhaps we can arrive at an agreement.

Richmond needs to do more for public safety, while also recognizing the need for less light.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20888714/

Girl Scout Promise said...

I hope we can. I enjoy romantic lighting but I don't have the eyes of a cat so I have a hard time seeing without a little light pollution.

Take Care,

Beamer 319

Anonymous said...

Go to River City and ask for the REV. He used to be a pastor now he is a tattoo artist pretty cool guy to talk with.

Girl Scout Promise said...

Pastor Alan,

Thanks for the tip. I will pass along to my husband Chris.

Have a great day!!

Beamer 319