Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Golden Compass is not for my kids!!

You may already know about this, but I just learned about a kids movie coming out in December starring Nicole Kidman. It's called The Golden Compass, and while it will be a watered down version, it is based on a series of children's books about killing God (It is the anti-Narnia). From what I understand, the hope is to get alot of kids to see the movie - which won't seem too bad - and then get the parents to buy the books for their kids for Christmas. The quotes from the author sum it all up.

The author is an avowed atheist. His name is Philip Pullman and there are many quotes on the web regarding his anti christian and anti God beliefs. I usually don't condemn movies until I get the whole story. I went to snopes and it is true that the hope is for kids parents to purchase the book and support his anti christian agenda.

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

I can't control what people say or do. I can, however, control how I spend my money. I won't support this movie even though it looks pretty good because of the message it sends. I also don't watch any movies that Ian McKellan is in since he announced that the Bible was fiction. I hate to see Nicole Kidman in this kind of movie but sometimes we have to take a stand for the better good.

I hope that you will make a wise choice in your movie selections but as for me and my family, this is one movie that we won't see or add to our movie collection.

Hope you have a great weekend.

5 comments:

A P said...

Cool! Now I know what I want to go see at the movies this weekend.

Eric said...

Thanks for the post. I got an e-mail a couple of weeks ago from a friend telling us the same thing. Are family will not be seeing this movie either.

Girl Scout Promise said...

Anachro, I hope you enjoy the Golden Compass when it opens in December. Or you can see the B movie this weekend which was a nice movie for the kids.

Eric,
As parents we have to choose the movies we want our kids to see. Thanks for your response.

RVA Foodie said...

It's a fantasy story with metaphysical themes (not unlike the Bible). There are loads of valuable lessons throughout as well as some really creative details that will impress any reader who enjoys having their imagination engaged (also like the Bible). My wife and I just finished reading The Golden Compass and we're looking forward to the movie. Is it for kids? Characters do pass away, and it usually pretty upsetting (like the Bible). I recommend you read the book. The Church plays a role in the story and Bible quotes figure in here and there. But, I don't detect any real disrespect for Christianity. So far, the theme seems to be that human life is something worth fighting for.

Girl Scout Promise said...

RVA Foodie,

Six years ago, the author stated that he was all about killing God. Book 3 of this trilogy shows a boy and a girl killing "God" so they could do what they want.

Here is an article recently written from the New York Magazine:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/11/philip_pullman_realizes_underm.html

Have a great even.