Friday, August 3, 2007

Kids = Love + Joy

I often take things for granted and forget about the little things in life that bring out smiles. How often, I have eaten ice cream and enjoyed the taste but without the enthusiasm of a 4 year old. I also have been to the pool and sometimes forget how exciting it is to go to the deep end where your feet can't touch the bottom. Its these small things that bring delight in my children and remind me how wonderful the little things are.

We took C out for ice cream last night. He had to go see his Orthopaedic Doctor for his 6 month check up. While waiting in the waiting area for 1-1/2 hours, the TV was playing Madagascar. C watched TV and drew pictures. Every once in a while he would ask where's the doctor. Once Dr. T saw him and checked out his legs, ankles and knees, we took C to get an X-Ray to check his spine. He was born with a small curvature which he has now outgrown. Dr. T asked him his favorite ice cream and C said chocolate. Then C wanted ice cream for dinner. Since this week is Vacation Bible School during the night, Chris and I took C out to Friendly's for dinner and ice cream. We ate dinner and ordered ice cream. When it came, C's ice cream was topped off with whip cream and a cherry. After C ate all of the whip topping, he noticed that he had chocolate ice cream. He screamed in delight, "Look Mommy, choclate ice cream". I looked at the sheer delight in his face and the enthusiasm of finding his "surprise". I had forgotten how fun it is to find the ice cream.

Our daughters, B and K, participate in the Recreation Departments daily activities. Every Friday, they go to Pocahontas State Park to swim. They were so excited about teaching each other on how to wear a life vest so they could go to the deep end of the pool. B enjoys diving and touching the bottom of the pool. The enthusiasm in their voice while explaining all of this was contagious. How I wished I could remember those fun times.

Our kids bring joy to me and to others. Tonight was the last night of vacation bible school and C's teacher told us how much she and her family have enjoyed him. They said that he was always happy and full of joy in everything they did which ranged from crafts to playing sports. His picture made the Progress Index today. He was playing basketball and the sheer joy in his face shows how he is happy with everything. We are supposed to be joyful in everything and C certainly shows it. The girls coaches and huddle leaders told me how wonderful the girls were and how they will be missed. It is such a joy to me to hear positive things about our kids from other people. It reassures me that we must be doing something right with our kids.

We tell our kids I love you before they go to sleep. Even when its a hard night in getting them to settle down, they know that we love them. The smile of happiness when they hear us tell them that we love them reminds me that we are not to take their child hood for granted and to appreciate the small things in life.

My kids remind me of Joy and happiness. I may not always be joyful in all things, but I am sure glad that they are here to remind me.

May you have a joyful and happy weekend.

Beamer 319

No comments: