Friday, August 17, 2007

Bright Beginnings does your soul good!!

Every year the YMCA teams up with Bright Beginnings. Bright Beginnings is a national organization that helps children at risk, low income families and homeless families get the training and education they need. This year, I got to be a part of it first hand and it was truly an eye opening experience for me.

First the YMCA had requested backpacks filled with school supplies for boys and girls ranging from Kindergarten to Fifth grade. Where I am temping, they promised to fill 40 backpacks. When the collection was finished, they had 50 backpacks to donate to the YMCA. The surprise and appreciativeness of the YMCA made everyone feel blessed.

The second thing the YMCA requested was for volunteers to help children pick out school clothes for school. These children don't have a lot of clothes and the families can't take on the added burden so I volunteered as well as 40 others.

We met this past Monday night and I was partnered with an 8 year old little girl who laughed at all of my silliness and who truly appreciated the shopping experience. She was bright and bubbly and loves the color pink so for this blog, I will call her Pink. Pink told me all about her family, she was one of 7 children ranging from 11 years old down to toddler. Her gramme has a big dog who likes to play and she works at the YMCA. Her Auntie works at Target and her mother stays home until all of the kids are enrolled in school.

We were given a $100 budget and shopping at Target we were able to get her the things she wanted and needed. She found 3 pairs of pants, a Jacket, 3 shirts, a package of underwear and socks as well as a pair of brown tennis shoes trimmed in pink. She was thrilled to get the clothes. She never complained about trying things on and she knew what she liked in a nice and precocious way.

After our shopping experience, we were treated to a hot dog dinner and we sat and enjoyed our conversations. We had our picture taken together and for the group picture she sought me out as she said that I was her buddy and she hoped that we could be friends. When I left her, my heart was full of happiness as she brought more blessings to me than I could have imagined. I was with a child who didn't have much but was truly content in her circumstances.

She was bright and happy and she ended up being my dessert for the day as it felt great to do good for someone else. If you ever have the opportunity to volunteer for Bright Beginnings, I highly recommend it. That night we helped 26 Richmond area school children who were smart and appreciative of everything.

Hope you have bright beginning to your day..


Beamer 319

1 comment:

Chris said...

"We had our picture taken together and for the group picture she sought me out as she said that I was her buddy and she hoped that we could be friends."

This is a beautiful description of how you night ended. You're so friendly to little ones. I love you.