Wednesday, August 15, 2007

September Dawn brings Controversy

If you haven't heard, an independent production company named Black Diamond Productions is releasing a movie called September Dawn. This movie is about a massacre that occurred on September 11, 1857 in an unspoiled valley of the Utah Territory—and in the name of God—120 men, women and children were savagely murdered.

The production company says that its based on actual historical events. September Dawn is a feature length drama that depicts the tragic encounter between a party of innocent settlers and a fanatic Mormon militia believed to be backed by the highest religious figures of the Mormon movement during that time. The religious terrorism depicted in the film happened 150 years ago. The advertisement is trying to tie it to the modern day terrorism of today. I don't believe that you can compare religious terrorism.

I find it interesting that Hollywood is helping to promote this movie but when another independent movie was released, Amazing Grace, which is based on the life of antislavery pioneer William Wilberforce, who, as a Member of Parliament, navigated the world of 18th Century backroom politics to end the slave trade in the British Empire. Hollywood did not do very much in promoting this remarkable movie.

I don't believe in coincidence in life or happenings so I wonder if the release and the Hollywood backing of September Dawn could have anything to do with the fact that there is a Mormon running for President. Hollywood is known for its liberalism. Dare I say, could this be a liberal conspiracy against a Mormon conservative who happens to be running for the highest office in our country? I wonder.

I loved Amazing Grace and I love independent movies so I will probably go and watch as its historical fiction which is another love. But, I won't let a movie help me to decide on my vote during the election of any official.

Let me know your thoughts and here's to the movies.

Beamer 319

1 comment:

SEO BRO said...

Mitt Romney has been very quiet about this movie. It would be better if he confronted the issue rather than pretend that it is not important.