Sunday, May 27, 2007

Position Elimated Due to a Business Decision

My husband started a blog a few weeks ago and so I decided to follow in his footsteps. The first thing he said I had to do was come up with something to say. So let me tell you why my blog is named eliminated due to a business decision. It seems my whole 22 year career has been awesome but my positions usually end with the statement, "your position has been eliminated due to a business decision."


I tell ya, I have gotten so used to hearing those words that when an employer tells it to me and then they say we are giving you a great send off package, I sit back and compare it to the other packages I have received through my career. What happened to the days of our grandparents. In their day, companies rewarded hard workers with loyalty. The worker/employer relationship depended upon loyalty and honesty. Today, it always comes down to the bottom line. Companies let go employees after 20 or more years because their salaries have gotten too high. They are eliminated due to a business decision. Then its decided a few months later, that they really needed the position and hire someone straight out of college and are paid a less amount.


In Danville, VA, there is a section of the town filled with shanti's (little 1 bedroom houses) that were owned by the manufacturing plant and their employees lived there as long as they worked as part of their compensation and when they retired, they got the house. The good ole days I say.


Today, companies look at the bottom line and decide that the company needs to go a new direction in order to keep up with the Jones'. My position gets eliminated and I have to defend why my resume looks like I leave after 2 years of employment. Its a jungle out there. I don't mean to belly ache. I am only saying that I wonder what will happen in our children's time of employment.


I think that on my next interview, I will ask, " what is the percentage that this position will be eliminated due to a business decision?". I wonder what the response will be. I definitely know that my epitaph will read, "Life eliminated due to God's decision" as he truly is the one in charge.


I consider Him to be my true employer, however, I wish that my position wouldn't be eliminated after two years.


Well, I think that's how I will end it for today. I hope you have a happy Memorial Day and that your position isn't eliminated due to a business decision.


Beamer 319


1 comment:

Chris said...

Cool idea for a blog. I look forward to reading future posts.